Monday, September 10, 2007

Busy looking for my next rejection...


Anyone remember in Jurassic Park when Jeff Goldbloom's character said, "I'm always on the look-out for the next ex-Mrs. Malcom." I love that line. Sometimes that's how I feel about my writing though. I search the mail for the next envelope with my name on it that has that one-page, "No thanks" form letter. I got one today. It went up with the others on my desk. I have them in this neat little metal stand that's meant to hold pictures. It has little coffee cups on it. Go figure.

But, my rejection means that I need to spit out another short story to send floating. That's normally a somewhat daunting thing when doing it on command, but is more so since my attention is already split. How in the world can I tackle a new story without completely neglecting my others? I could edit and resend an old story, but that never feels right. It always feels like; if one place has rejected a story, all of them will. I don't burn them or delete them, though. I just try to find a different medium in which I can submit my previously rejected stories (once I've gone through them again).

Just the same, I don't see recycling a story as an option for this contest. I always send something fresh. I always create something new to submit at least two times a year (its a quarterly contest). I would just say I will wait for the story to come to me, but the clock is ticking here. I have until the end of the month to write and mail something out. Not a lot of time. I guess though, I have to let a story find me or dig through my bag of tricks for some unexplored....something. Maybe I have something I started.... Wish me luck. 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment