Saturday, August 4, 2007

Getting in touch with your inner child

Mine wants out. Not that I lock my inner child away, really. Have you ever seen that woman in the store who is singing loudly and off-key to a giggling toddler? Yep, that's me. Or the one who's grabbing the straws at a resturant and shooting the straw wrappers at her family? Yep, me too.

This is a little different, though. I may play, but my mind is (mostly) that of an adult, with adult emotions (again, mostly), reactions (and again) and reasoning. When we get older, we lose some of the understanding of what it was to be a child. There was something Dumbledore said in HP5 that was similar to what I'm trying to say. He said something about taking the blame for a mishap because youth does not understand what it is to be old, but the old know full well what it was like to be young and should know better but tend to forget.. or something like that. We've been there. We've experienced it. We have had the same pressures put on us and dealt or misdealt with them. We lose touch, though and forget how hard it can be to be a kid. We also have the bad habit of underestimating the problems that kids deal with. We all have problems at all stages of our lives, it never stops. But, never assume that a problem that is big to you will be viewed the same to someone else. Kids don't have the ability to separate that notion, though.

Okay, so that rant helped me a little with getting in touch with my inner youth. What I was trying to say there, before I ranted a bit, was that writing a children's story is not easy! I'm not a child anymore, despite any childish tendencies I may have. I am struggling a bit in this book, but....its going to be worth it, isn't it? Some part of me knows that to be true. I know that every time I sit down to write, I guess I just need to remind myself sometimes? lol Thanks for the chat!

Oh, on a side note, I'm going to add a link to the blog for a cause that I think is pretty worthy. Laptops for the Wounded (http://www.laptopsforthewounded.com/). This wonderful mother of a soldier built this charity to help our wounded servicemembers recover with computers and games. Its really nice to think that someone who gets injured will still have the ability, while recouping, to talk to their loved ones via email or keep up with what's going on in the world and I think this is a worthy cause. She accepts computer and game donations of all sorts (if you aren't sure, just email and ask her 8)) as well as monitary. I just wanted to share. 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment