Friday, July 13, 2007

Voice found...inquire within

I finished my editing of the short story. No, I'm not going to post it...yet. I am going to wait and see what happens with the original submission of the story. If it is rejected, I'm going to do as I planned and resubmit it. Then, maybe, I'll post it if anyone wants to read it. I am happy with the changes made.

Moments like this are the air I breathe...or maybe the coffee I drink? ;) Its not often I get to just sit in a moment of satisfaction about how something has played out. Completing any writing project is wonderful to me. I do admit, that some of the stories are not what I wanted. Do you ever get a craving for a certain food but you can't either find anyplace that has it or you force yourself to accept something else in its place? Sometimes it rids you of the craving, but you still feel like you've been robbed somehow. Sometimes it doesn't get rid of the craving at all and you end up becoming more voracious for the item than you were. I feel this way both in the books I read and the writing I do. Sometimes, I just cannot manage to assuage that craving! Sometimes I find something so close and it still just doesn't do it for me. C'mon, if you want Godiva, Hershey's is probably not going to do it. Or, if you want Janet Evanovich, Mary Mott Davidson is not going to fill that need. Jaquiline Carey cannot be replaced by Ann Bishop (though both are fabulous). You get the idea, I hope. One more Salvatore instead of Tolken? Okay, done.

You know, sometimes this is the main reason I write. I go into the bookstore craving some pure fantasy magical, wonderful, powerful saga with a unique battle of good and evil just to come out with something depressing. Like a romance novel. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a snob. I love all books. But, the mind/body/heart wants what the mind/body/heart wants. I write to fill that craving, that void. I write because the story I wanted to read was not there and I've decided that I'm going to be the one who makes it. I want to feel that someday someone like me is going to go into a bookstore or library with a craving and come out filling so excited and happy because they know the answer is in their hands. Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment