Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Too much of a good thing?

I wonder when I'm going to run out of these catchy, cliche titles?

Both stories are now bouncing around and causing various lapses in concentration. I have a problem in both of them, really. In one, I'm seriously second-guessing myself since it's...okay fine....children's fiction. That's right. I'm writing a children's fantasy fiction story. I had been considering making a book or two for a younger audience for several years. Most of my early fiction was actually intermediate/young adult fiction (not surprising as I was a teenager when I started writing my first novel). I don't find it a large stretch for me, but at the same time, I'm nervous. I don't feel like I could just dive in and go on this one. I feel like I need to find out more about how to do this before I can get in too far. It may just be me beating myself in this instance, but it's hard to shrug the worry aside.

My work-in-progress, however, is just fighting for attention. I'm willing to give it. I am, however, having a hard time keeping my enthusiasm for the new work while continuing to give my previous work the mass of my attention. It's like I suddenly have two kids vying to get my attention. How to keep them both happy and keep my sanity, I have yet to figure out.

No comments:

Post a Comment