Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gleeful, wicked, evil, malicious, sly

I was fighting to find a good word that means all of those things in description of a smile. Fun, huh? Nothing really sounded quite right, but I went with gleeful assuming that the other actions and characteristics of the character in question would fill in the missing adjectives and put more meaning to that one word. We shall see, I suppose.

I've been working a bit. The weather has wrecked havoc upon my sinuses, but I've felt driven by my muse and my fear of all of my real and imagined shortcomings in my life. I feel the clock ticking. I hear it in my head screaming that I must prove myself and soon. I only have one published work under my belt and that is maddening to me. I am grateful for that instance in my life. I just worry that it is all I will have to show for my "gift".

I've also had a chance to do a little reading. A doctor's appointment will do that to you (that and the 45 min wait to be seen as well as the hour wait for meds with 20 minutes in the patient room alone for good measure!). I needed to read a little pure fantasy and I'm glad I did. It drives me a bit more to read another author's work and think about the elements in their story and what I like or don't like about it. I used to worry about dissecting books but I find that I don't lose enjoyment of the tale just because I'm looking at how it was put together and comparing it to my own (scant) knowledge.

I like less-well-known authors the best. They make me feel confident because part of my brain begins to roar that if they can do it, I can too. I want to see my books on a bookstore shelf. I want to be the one receiving an email from someone asking for advice or saying the phrase I've always wanted to hear..."I didn't want to finish it because I didn't want the story to be over."

Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment