Thursday, August 23, 2007

Who needs mind games when you can do a jigsaw puzzle?


Writing is about piecing things together. I'm sure I've said this a few times in different ways, but that's it in a nutshell.


I have to wonder how people who only think on a steady course in one direction are able to write. Are they forever doomed to write non-fiction? And if so, what kind? History would need a bit of passion, I would think and how can you be secular and still imprint passion on your work?


I used to hate that my mind would flit around sometimes like captured butterflies in a jar. I thought there was something wrong with me. I thought, why can't I focus these thoughts in one direction? Why can't I make my mind work the way this person or these people or this book is telling me to? But that's silly. Too bad no one could have ever convinced my younger self of that, I might have saved some anguish. But, anguish is writing fodder, no?


Its silly to think that we all have to see things the same way. We all must wear our watches on a certain wrist or drink from a certain type of cup or (heaven forbid) view things the same way. If we all had the same opinions and views and ideas, what a boring place this would be. A good quote from the movie French Kiss applies: "Would you rather have one cheese? One cheeseburger to have it on?" No. Who would want that? Everyone loves cheese. 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment